Family Class immigrants.

These include parents and dependent children under 19 years of age; spouses and fiancé(e)s.

Once a person over the age of 19 years becomes a permanent resident and has sufficient qualifying income, such person may sponsor an application for permanent residence made by a member of the family class.

Such applications are given first priority in processing and are not subject to the point system.

Independent immigrants

Subject to a point system.

To be eligible for permanent residence status the immigrant must receive 70 points.

Points are awarded for such things as age, education and facility in the English and/or French languages.

The immigrant must also have work experience in an occupation which is in demand, of which there are currently over 900.

Bonus points are awarded if the independent immigrant has a parent, brother, sister, uncle or aunt who is a permanent resident or citizen of Canada.

Business class immigrants.

These include a) self-employed persons, b) entrepreneurs and c) investors.

a) A self-employed person is an immigrant who intends and has the ability to establish or purchase a business in Canada that will create an employment opportunity for himself and will make a significant contribution to the economy or the cultural or artistic life of Canada. Artists, musicians, professional athletes and specialized consultants are among those usually considered under this category.
b) An entrepreneur is an immigrant who intends and has the ability to establish, purchase or make a substantial investment in a business or commercial venture in Canada that will make a significant contribution to the economy and whereby employment opportunities will be created or continued in Canada for a permanent resident other than the entrepreneur and his dependents; and who intends and has the ability to provide active and on going participation in the management of the business or commercial venture.
c) An investor is a person who has successfully operated, controlled or directed a business, has accumulated a net worth at least $500,000 (CDN) which has been accumulated through the investor's own efforts and who makes a minimum investment of either $250,000 or $350,000 in aventure approved by the government in one of the provinces. 

Where Do You Apply?

Persons who seek to immigrate to Canada must apply outside of Canada.
A person does not necessarily have to apply for immigration to Canada in the country where he resides or has citizenship.
For example, a Mexican citizen may apply for immigration to Canada at a Canadian consulate located in the United States.
Applicants may be denied admission to Canada for reasons of health, criminal record and/or public security.